Saturday, March 28

furry friend

I got the biggest shock this morning. Yanking open the back door, i marched out, my head down, intent on getting to the vege patch in record speed to do a quick round of watering before the bean woke up. I rounded the verandah, looked up and came face to face with a rather large male koala. Theyre not uncommon around here and we hear them in the trees all the time but we dont often get them in this close to the house and this beast of a boy wasnt in the least bit concerned about my abrupt appearance. He just sat there and looked at me, blinking and moving his head around appearing to take in the view. So i scooted back inside, let B2 know what was going on and to come look and grabbed the camera. His torso was lovely and brown and furry but his butt end was a very patchy white and grey. Must get a bit worn after years of tree hugging.

6 comments:

Dina Roberts said...

Wow!

That's awesome. From the back, it almost looks like a primate.

Great video!

Delwyn said...

Hi Kel
he is a big boy and I have to agree with Dina, don't they look apelike when viewed from the rear?

Pip said...

That is exactly what I was thinking too. Even though his butt is patchy white and grey, I bet he's hard to spot when you look up in the tree. I'm glad I'm not the only one that makes kissing sounds and says hello to koalas.
Pip

naturewitch said...

Hi Kel

Great footage! Glad I turned the sound on - it was lovely to hear all the birds in the background. And the garden looks so lovely and cool. xx

Kelly said...

Dina - hi. welcome. thanks and yes, very primate! very human.

Delwyn - reminded me of my bean boy going down those stairs!

Pip- glad youre fine with that. Id posted before i realised you could hear me doing all that!


Naturewitch - additionally to me going ga ga at the koala the rainbow lorakeets are also audible! thats was a nice surprise. they hang around in our creek in the mornings having a fine old time. thats what you can hear. its lovely.

Karin said...

OMG! Doesn't that just beat all! What a wonderful and humbling experience. Just beautiful.

Hello, how are you?

Hello. It's been a while. 5 years. Where did that time go? Reflecting back, I can't remember why I stopped blogging. Perhaps l...