Saturday, June 27

business planning with a fizz

I had my first 'meeting' with 'the board' last night (that would be me n him); dining table, bottle of wine, brains and pens and paper. Si has built and sold quite a few businesses in his time so i figured that he might know a little bit about helping me out at this stage of my venture. I'm a bit of a 'i can do it myself' girl so this process was actually a little confronting for me (go figure) but it was a good process to go through, to take myself and my goals seriously, speak them out aloud and work through my business plan together. We worked our way through my marketing plan and strategy, business goals, finance and storage plans and itemised my 'to do' list. I learnt though this evening that I had done heaps of research, knew my product well and had a very good knowledge of the big issues involved. Im prepared as i can be at this stage of the process. I was very surprised and pleased when Si said he'd do whatever it took to help me along and that he would also be prepared to pound the pavement to get this product out there. Im such an academic at heart and always have been, the idea of 'selling stuff' has actually never really been an option in my life but Im passionate about ridding the world of single use plastic- just rip em off willy nilly-fruit and veg bags. We crashed into bed at 1.30am. It feels extraordinary to be pursuing this and Im so glad Im married to one of lifes eternal optimists. I can recommend Alibaba.com as an amazing insight into the world of 'stuff'. Suffering the effects of a fun night a little this morning...

4 comments:

Zoe said...

I wish your venture well. I'm usually a co-op shopper, so always "bagged up" but found myself impulse purchasing a $1 hessian bag from the spud people at the markets today - keeps the spuds dark and the dirt contained.

A long-winded way of saying make sure you get your stuff out there where people already have their wallets out :)

Emma Someone said...

I thought of you last night when I was in Goodies and Grains in the Adelaide Central Markets and saw paper bag options for some things, and no notplastic options. Perhaps add them to the list of places to start? And the Organic Shop in Norwood, SA. Heck, just ask your readers to suggest places because the popular ones are probably a good place to start.

Kelly said...

zoe- thanks for your input..hmm hessian/jute potato bags...my white one is very stained and unwholesome..grand idea...lol

Emma S- hello and welcome to this blog. Fancy you thinking of me at goodies n grains.. i shop there every week with my baggies- very handy for muesli and grains and yes, i had thouht of them as possible outlet-they only have the parachute ones and hemp big shopping bag. thanks for your input too! rreaders are very useful at times like this!

Katrine said...

sounds like you're well on your way to a great business! i look forward to buying some bags!

Hello, how are you?

Hello. It's been a while. 5 years. Where did that time go? Reflecting back, I can't remember why I stopped blogging. Perhaps l...