Thursday, September 10

A Splendid Torch

My heart sang when I first met the Bloke, he had this pinned in the bathroom on the wall, one of my favourite pieces of writing of all times. I knew immediately i really was onto a good thing.

This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.

I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community, and as long as I live it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can.

I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no "brief candle" for me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations.

George Bernard Shaw

11 comments:

Katy said...

How brilliant is that! I love that piece of writing - obviously the cosmos aligned right to bring you two together.

Em said...

Kel, I really really really like that quote.

Kerrie said...

Lovely to discover that you had encountered someone really special. A treasured moment for you I'm sure.

Laura Jane said...

Hell, yeah!

Ooh, he's a keeper, that one.

Jen said...

I remember reading that in your loo and loving it. I assumed it was S's additiona to the wall, but I wasnt sure! I always re-read it when I visit. Its a quote that resonates deeply in the soul.

And yep, hes a keeper, thats for sure!

Kale for Sale said...

Beautiful. Beautiful piece and story. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

absolutely wonderful!

Kelly said...

im so glad you all like it. Its a fantastic peice of wordsmithery and insight. Love mah GBS.

Annuska said...

I love it too...should live by it more often...

Annuska said...

I love it too...should live by it more often...

Jacqueline said...

here here! (as the Brits like to say)

Hello, how are you?

Hello. It's been a while. 5 years. Where did that time go? Reflecting back, I can't remember why I stopped blogging. Perhaps l...