Wednesday, September 2

meaning

Meaning is not something you stumble across, like the answer to a riddle or the prize in a treasure hunt. Meaning is something you build into your life. You build it out of your own past, out of your affections and loyalties, out of the experience of humankind as it is passed on to you, out of your own talent and understanding, out of the things you believe in, out of the things and people you love, out of the values for which you are willing to sacrifice something. The ingredients are there. You are the only one who can put them together into that unique pattern that will be your life. Let it be a life that has dignity and meaning for you. If it does, then the particular balance of success or failure is of less account.

John W. Gardner 1993

3 comments:

Katy said...

So very true.

Jen said...

That is very timely for me, Kel. I just changed my blog profile from suggesting my blog was about 'finding beauty' in erveryday things to 'A space to find a little meaning in the fabric of everyday life.' The latter seems to hold more resonance for me in my life right now. Love the quote!

Kelly said...

katy- yup, sweet wan'it?

Jen- ahh , now you'll have to use it! and perfect change, blogging is just that. thats why i think im addicted, it really is a thred through life. Its wonderful.

Hello, how are you?

Hello. It's been a while. 5 years. Where did that time go? Reflecting back, I can't remember why I stopped blogging. Perhaps l...